GOP presidential front-runner Donald Trump said late Monday that President Obama is working on an executive order to take Americans’ guns away.
“You know, the president is thinking about signing an executive order where he wants to take your guns away,” he told listeners during a rally in Anderson, S.C., according to CNN.
“You hear about this?” Trump asked supporters. “[It is] not gonna happen [and] that won’t happen. I think that’s a tough one for him to do.
“There’s plenty of executive orders being signed, you know that,” the outspoken billionaire added. “And we can’t let that go on.”
Trump then argued early Tuesday that Obama’s past remarks on firearms mean that he is readying stricter regulations.
“I think he is currently thinking about doing it,” he told host Alisyn Camerota on CNN’s “New Day.”
“In my opinion, he is against the Second Amendment,” Trump said of Obama. “He has not been pro-Second Amendment.”
Camerota then tried challenging Trump’s assertion that Obama can unilaterally confiscate guns via an executive order.
“He can’t sign an executive order on immigration and he did,” Trump replied, questioning that order’s legality.
Obama has repeatedly bemoaned congressional inaction on tighter gun control legislation after events such as the Umpqua Community College (UCC) massacre earlier this month.
He vowed after the UCC shooting he would examine the legality of an executive action on certain firearms regulations.